A living lesson of history
No street in Bucharest has a history to match that of Calea Victoriei. It got its name – Victoriei Avenue – in 1878, when the Romanian Army triumphantly marched into the Capital after the Independence War.
Lined with fine houses, palaces, churches, hotels, upmarket shops and museums, it remains perhaps the most prestigious address in the city.
The street - originally covered with logs, as was the norm in those days - was fully paved by 1825, one of the first in the city. There followed a blossoming of construction as the street became a magnet for wealthy merchants who built homes along its length.
Various edifices have been constructed on this street over the years: grandiose mansions that the old local nobility used to live in, churches, inns, hotels, shops, luxury stores, coffee shops and state institutions.